Going from design school to the business world, I began learning the office environment. It has included working with larger teams of people, different geographical locations and different cultural values, as well as other defined priorities.
Connections have remained important to me both as a tool for growth and a gauge to measure experiences along the way. I have learned over the past three years the elastic limit of connections once they reach the global scale.
After returning to the states and graduating, I was eager to take my Masters in Architecture and internship experience and find a firm which offered me growth professionally.
Working with Kids - Prior to Graduation Experiences
Throughout my life up to this point I had worked in primarily education and leadership roles with kids in informal learning environments. I enjoyed each experience along the way as I was able to test out roles I would likely not find myself leading once I began work at a professional office after graduation. I was am thankful of the opportunities each summer provided for me to discover the personal enjoyment and latent interest I had in helping facilitate the success in others.
- Neighborhood Swim Team Coach
- Lifeguard at the City Pool
- Private Swim Lesson Consultant
- Instructor of Design Studio for Duke TIP Summer Studies
Working in Paris, Experiencing the world
Getting my feet wet before making the full post graduation transition to a professional office via an internship in Paris helped bridge my time working with autonomy in the design studio to working among a network of others.
- Intern Designer for Odile Decq's Architecture Studio
- Travel throughout Europe
- Initial development of incorporating educational, methods based, interconnected, value based design with purpose.
- Development of personal "agenda" for myself as a designer practicing for the next 30-40 years.
Working in an Office - Post Graduation Experiences
RTKL - Dallas, TX
NBBJ - New York, NY
- Exposure to Support Systems that facilitate design studios
- Balancing work, life, exploration.
- Exposure to new cultures, values and priorities
- Travel to China
- Development of Design Computation methods